Thursday, September 18, 2008

Heide's Class at Castle Hill

Hi Everyone, One of the things I plan to do on this blog is post descriptions of Iyengar classes that I attend and teach. I want to check out other Iyengar classes besides the one or two I typically go to. I do want this blog to convey a sense of all that is out there with Iyengar yoga and I welcome anyone to send me a description of a particular Iyengar class they teach or take.

Here's an example:
This morning I went to Heide's All Levels Class at Castle Hill. What fun! It was everything that traditional Iyengar Yoga has to offer. Great sequencing. We worked on backward bends lots of attention to getting the chest and shoulders open and the legs engaged. Detailed instruction and good solid corrections. Lots of props.. we used blocks, the rope wall, chairs, blankets. Heide has a forceful, yet very friendly, teaching presence. She did a great job giving students at various levels options that were appropriate and she was also very skillful at giving instructions about the inner body and the physiological effects of poses.

Castle Hill has a lovely yoga room. The rope wall has easily adjustable ropes, inversion swings and even cushy handles so your fingers don't get crushed in the ropes. I even liked the chairs though they are a bit oddly shaped. Very tall backs which made for a very intense backbend on the chair top but a bit smaller than usual seats so I actually felt like I fit better in the chair for dwi pada.



I thoroughly enjoyed the class and recommend it to anyone looking for a great yoga class . I love that back bending adrenaline rush in the morning.

No comments: